Friday, May 12, 2006

REVIEW: Kiehls, Original Musk


Notes: Bergamot Nectar, Orange Blossom, Rose, Lily, Ylang-Ylang, Neroli, Tonka Nut, White Patchouli and, Musk.

Pros: Doesn't smell like Aqua Net hairspray; a warm powdery musk with a floral heart and somewhat animalic basenotes.

Cons: May smell slightly medicinal to some.

Reminds me of: Novaya Zarya Arome Musc; The Body Shop Musk oil; Keiko Mecheri Musc

Development: The scent doesn't really develop as much as it relaxes.

Longevity: Not bad: Lasted a few hours and then left a soft second-skin aroma.

Sillage: I'm still not sure about this one. It seemed quieter than I had expected, but with a musk scent, that might be a good thing.

Where can I buy it? $27.90 for a 3.4 oz edt spray at PerfumeBay.com.

Bottleworthy? Try this one before you buy - the basenotes may be a little too harsh for some tastes. If you're a musk freak, like I am, go for it!

The Bottom Line: I've long been wanting a bottle of Kiehls Musk, having been a fan of the musk oil since my days working at Nieman Marcus. Though not my favorite musk, this is an easy-to-wear, everyday scent that won't break the bank. It's not so sweet so as to be cloying, and has an animalic tinge in the basenotes which I personally like, but might be unpleasant to some. Overall, warm, comforting, and soothing, Kiehls is light enough for me to wear a spray or two during the warmer summer months...and I think I will.

Rating (out of 10): 7

What's your favorite musk scent?

Decants available, email me!

9 comments:

Caitlin Shortell said...

Hi Marlen,
I am wearing Narciso Rodriguez edt today and I love its musk. Clair de Musc and Fleurs de Citronnier are pretty good contenders too, but that takes me straight back to how I love the musk in scents like Chanel No. 5 and Guerlain Vega. Hard to choose a one and only musk.

priscilla said...

Commenting to help your cause...I'll come back to find some nice scents for my husband. Your reviews are great.

marlen said...

Narciso is one of my faves as well, though I prefer Lovely with its sheerer composition.

marlen said...

Thanks for the comment, please come back soon!

GreatSheElephant said...

whoah - quiet on the sillage? The one time I tested this I went to the movies straight afterwards and people moved seat to get away from the sillage. But not until they'd stared at me, pointed and laughed.

marlen said...

greatsheelephant - how many sprays did you apply? I do agree that there is a ferocious basenote in Kiehls Musk during the first 30 minutes or so, but find that the entire scent quickly relaxes and stays close to the skin...

...How was the movie? lol

marlen

tmp00 said...

I love Kiehl's musk, in moderation. But my favorite has to be Muscs Kublai Khan. But I can't really say that MKK is work 5 times the price.

marlen said...

I agree, MKK is a stunner! I do also enjoy Villoresi, Mecheri, and CSP Musc Alize.

Anonymous said...

i love MKK but i find it doesnt last very long on me at all