Monday, May 08, 2006

REVIEW: Hanae Mori, HM (Men) (1997)

Notes: Lemon, Lavender, Blackcurrant, Green notes, Iris, Jasmine, Muguet, Bulgarian Rose, Moss, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Cedarwood, Chocolate, and Amber.

Pros: One of the most unusual men's fragrances of the 90's; a one-of-a-kind gourmand oriental; wonderful jasmine notes really shine.

Cons: May be a bit too sweet for some.

Reminds me of: Absolutely unique.

Development: As the scent moves from shimmering fruit and floral notes to the warmer woods and gourmand notes, the sweetness subsides somewhat and the scent's amber hues warm the skin.

Longevity: Excellent, the edt lasts forever on me.

Sillage: Just right - not too loud, not too quiet...

Where can I buy it? $23.89 for a 100ml edt spray at Scentiments.com.

Bottleworthy? Absolutely, in fact, this is one that is definitely not limited to men!

The Bottom Line: An unusual fragrance that might just change the way you think about men's fragrance. Long before Dior offered us an Homme of iris and chocolate, Mori-san was already getting creative. One of my favorite highlights of the composition is the glorious use of jasmine. Though the fragrance is seemlessly blended, the jasmine is perhaps the one note that truly stands out to my nose...well, perhaps along with the blackcurrant. Overall, a scent for any ocasion, though perhaps better suited to cooler weather. The Eau Fraiche version is just as enticing, though the fruit and gourmand notes are slightly less sweet.

Rating (out of 10): 9
Decants available, email me!
Have you tried HM yet?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I came very close to buying a gift set of it for myself right around christmas. But, alas, after wearing it around Marshall Fields for awhile I decided that it was too sweet for me. While I like this more than A*Men I have the same problem with both of them, I dont like smelling like food. Which makes the fact that I even humored the S.A. to try this all the more strange. Oh well, all of the women I was with liked it.

Dusan said...

Yup, tried it, own it. Funny thing is I didn't reach for it the entire winter until yesterday, and that was only to check if I'd been wronging it. Well, I kinda was sorry I'd neglected it because the fragrance IS beautiful, quite unlike anything on the men's market. However, I own the EDP which is considerably deeper and sweeter than the EDT. It does have a tartness from the lemon and what I think are blackcurrant leaves rather than the berries, and yes, it is creamy and enveloping and warm and gourmand, but most of the time I wear it I feel it's wearing ME. Maybe I should just mist it? Hmm. Having said that, I'll give it another go tomorrow unless it's too warm. My rating? 10 on a good, I-feel-like-a-king day; 5 on the OMG-I-stuffed-myself-with-too-many-Snickers day.

Anonymous said...

Count me among the female fans of this one -- have the EDP. Makes me think of fruit and chocolate fondue. I enjoy wearing it in cooler weather and have received compliments. I know some refer to it as Eau de Fruit Loops! I like that it lasts all day also -- a little goes a long way.

Thanks for all your work Marlen. I love your site and have purchased some of your "Bargain of the Week" scents.

marlen said...

justin, dusan - I fell in love with this scent when it was launched oh so long ago. I loved it's originality and daring composition. Then I tired of it due to its sweetness and have many times tried to own and wear it since, but only recently have I taken the plunge and re-found my ability to enjoy the scent. SO I think I understand your sentiments! or is that scentiments?