Thursday, May 11, 2006

ASK MARLEN: The Birley Lalique

Hi Marlen,

Just wondering if you had any thoughts on Mark Birley? I recalled sampling it a couple of years ago in the UK but can't recollect my notion of it! Am curious again…! Finally, I really loved the decant you sent me of Eau de Lalique…..could you please recommend where you got it from? I see it on Ebay every now and then so am wondering if that’s the go or you may know of any online vendor…

As always, thanks in advance…..
SHi S,

You know, I tried Mark Birley a few years ago when it was all the rage...I remember it distinctly: I was sitting at the back of a small touring van in Shanghai with my friend Susie. We had spent the day sightseeing and I needed a little scented pick-me-up, so I reached into my backpack and pulled out my sample spray of Mark Birley. I was feeling very positive about trying it out because I had heard so many positive things about it. Well...was I ever surprised. Let's just say that Mark and I didn't get along. He was sharp-edged with an overbearing personality and a complete lack of depth. I couldn't wait to wash it off.

As for Eau de Lalique, that was another surprise: I was browsing Saks in New York City, trying to stay hidden from the pesky sales associates when I noticed an odd-looking rectangular bottle I had never seen before. Closer inspection revealed that it was Eau de Lalique, and a couple of shpritzes revealed that it kicked ass! I was immediately hooked and to this day am still totally smitten with this surprisingly fresh, light yet full-bodied aroma with notes of Mandarin, Cardamom, Citron, Bergamot, Dill, Freesia, Hibiscus, Cinnamon, Amyris Wood, Sandalwood, Benzoin, White Musk, and Guaiac wood. It's like a classic eau de cologne but with a pleasant twist. I believe you can find the large 6.60z edt spray for about $30 on Ebay, and it should be pretty reliable.

Hope this helps!
Marlen

2 comments:

Caitlin Shortell said...

Eau de Lalique sounds right up my alley. And I must say, this blog has heightened its wonderfulness over the last few weeks. Thank you for your great work.

marlen said...

Cait - thanks for the kudos...the EDL is a winner...sad really that it isn't better known.