Thursday, May 11, 2006

Holy, Mother! Part II: Cacharel, Anaïs Anaïs (1978)

#4) This fragrance was a favorite of my mom's when I was a young teenager. I remember being surprised that she chose this new perfume because it was a light, fresh floral and Mom had always loved sweet orientals.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Notes: Madonna Lily, Hyacinth, Muguet, Black Currant, Citrus, Jasmine, Rose, Orange Blossom, Iris, Ylang Ylang, Vetiver, Cedar, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Musk, Russian Leather.

Pros: Sophisticated floral with a dewy freshness and warm musky base.


Cons: Having been around for nearly 30 years, this might be a very familiar scent to some.

Reminds me of: Hard to compare, but in the same ball park are Estee Lauder Pleasures, J del Pozo Esencia de Duende, and Van Cleef and Arpels First.

Where can I buy it? $25.90 for a 50 ml edt tester spray; $35.90 for a 100ml edt tester spray at PerfumeBay.com.

The Bottom Line: A unique composition when compared to the plethora of aldehyde and chypre fragrance launches of the late 70's. I always loved the fresh topnotes - like sticking your head into a florist's refrigerator; soft petals - and thought this a very feminine fragrance. Recently, fellow male fragrance afficianados have been singing its praises as well, commenting on the warm basenotes, specifically the leather. After trying it at duty free recently, I concluded that it just didn't work for me...the hyacinth and lily are a little too "lovely" for me, but mainly I suppose because this is truly the scent of Mom.

Rating (out of 10): 8

Has your mom ever worn a scent that surprised you?

No comments: