Friday, June 02, 2006

REVIEW: Benetton, Colors for Men (1988)

Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Cypress, Vanilla, Cedar, Patchouli.

Pros: A simple composition that has just the right amount of good stuff.

Cons: Benetton's fragrances seem almost cliche nowadays, having somewhat undeservedly found a low-price, bottom of the shelf existence at Perfumanias and discount shops world over. If your inner fragrance snob can move past this, you may be in for a treat.

Reminds me of: Shalimar Light; Molinard Vaniteck; Etro Shaal Nur.

Development: Minimal, but then this is not a terribly complex composition; the warm, oriental drydown is my favorite part.

Longevity: Excellent - lasts about 6-8 hours on my skin.

Sillage: Also, excellent.

Where can I buy it? Everywhere; $9.99 for a 100ml edt spray at ImaginationPerfumery.com.

Bottleworthy? Most definitely, expecially for those who enjoy vanilla and lemon aromas.

The Bottom Line: One of the first fragrances I ever wore, and one that I keep coming back to, Colors for Men has consistently managed to find a place in both my heart and wardrobe. Though neither a masterpeice nor ingenious, Colors simply smells great, lasts forever, and costs next to nothing. Better than that, there is really not much else out there that compares with this citrusy, masculine oriental that works as well in warmer weather as it does in cooler. I'd offer decants, but let's face it...at the price above, you're better off just going whole hog!

Rating (out of 10): 7

What's your take on Benetton Colors?

REVIEW: Benetton Colors for Women

No comments: