Saturday, February 18, 2006

REVIEW: Estee Lauder, Eau de Private Collection

Notes: Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Citrus, Orange Flower, Ylang-Ylang, Coriander, Sandalwood, Patchouli

Pros: Beautiful earthy green floral, that comes off as a classic eau de cologne on my skin.Cons: Might be a bit too soapy smelling as it develops for some peoples' tastes; the honeysuckle is a bit heavy on my skin.

Longevity and sillage: Surprisingly good, with the fragrance developing slowly and mellowing on the skin.

Reminds me of: Honestly? Acqua di Parma... (yes, of course they are totally different, but it REMINDS me of AdP); Agua de Loewe

Where can I buy it? $27.58 for 50ml spray at Scentiments.com

Bottleworthy? Yes, a wonderful scent for summer, and not too outrageously priced.

The Bottom Line: Created in 1973 as Ms. Lauder's personal scent, it starts with a fresh floral burst, and then goes soapy (coriander?). Continues to mellow as hints of sandalwood and a VERY subtle green patchouli note make their entrance. The scent settles into a "freshly-washed-skin" accord in a green soapy sorta way. I'm not totally sure about all the other products in the line (see my HELP! below), but I also have a Pure Fragrance spray decant which is sweeter, greener, and even better (richer) than the Eau de Private Collection that I've reviewed above. A surprising discovery from Estee, proving just what an absolute wonder this house once was (and continues to be?)

Rating (out of 10): 6.5

HELP! I am utterly confused by all of the variations on this one. There is a Pure Fragrance Spray, an Eau de Perfume Spray, plain ole' Private Collection Perfume, Perfume Colgone, Eau de Private Collection...Are they all the same?

No comments: