Wednesday, June 14, 2006

REVIEW: Storer Aromatics, Monk (2006)


Pros: An unusual aroma, light, airy, dry incense with only a hint of sweetness; great price tag.

Cons: It does remind me of an old cathedral which could actually be a "pro" for some.

Notes: Musk, civet, tabac, frankincense, leather, ambergris, sandalwood, tonka, galbanum, bergamot

Reminds me of: Etro Messe de Minuit; L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer

Development: I was surprised when the scent failed to develop much; with a list of notes as above, I expected unfolding layers. Instead the scent is well-blended and few single notes stand-out.

Longevity: The fragrance got very quiet on my skin after about 1 hour but I was surprised to get faint whiffs of Monk after about 3 hours. It lingered, albeit quietly.

Sillage: The fragrance is MUCH lighter than the notes might lead you to believe; creates a trail of light musk and fankincense.

Where can I buy it? $20.99 for a 100ml edt spray at Stores.Ebay.com.

Bottleworthy? At that price, this is an unusual scent that really must be tried.

The Bottom Line: After reading about Storer Aromatics' Monk at Basenotes.net, I knew that I would have to try it. I read descriptions like "smells like church incense" or "a great gothic aroma" and figured this was a scent that mimics Etro's infamous Messe de Minuit. In a very small way, it does, but the good news is that Monk is neither as harsh nor as expensive. My main problem with Monk is that it seems to be lacking that "it" factor that makes an ordinary or safe fragrance into one that just bowls you over. Monk didn't bowl me over but it did have me nodding my head "yes" and thinking of what kind of weather would have me wearing this. My answer: cool, rainy, grey days; days when I need a quiet and subtle aroma. Overall, Monk is an unusual fragrance from a new perfumer that deserves to be tried. Perfect for those who love light musk scents and church incense.

Rating (out of 10): 7

What's your favorite "Scent of a Cathedral"?

No comments: