Wednesday, June 07, 2006

ASK MARLEN: Wood and Spices and...?

Hi Marlen,

I have a question about one of the Montales, and I guess this could be a good time. I really love their Wood & Spices, but it drives both me and my partner crazy when we can't figure out what it reminds us of. Have you noticed a close resemblance to something else (not sure it is even a fragrance)?

Thanks,

SHi S,

I love Wood & Spices and don't worry, you're not alone, I believe a Basenotes concensus revealed a reference to Chanel Allure for Men. Likewise, Wood & Spices also reminds me of Sculpture Homme by Nikos. Let's look at some compositions, shall we?

Montale Wood & Spices (2004)
Notes: Ebony, sandalwood, vetiver, incense notes from Caradamone and spices.

Chanel Allure pour Homme (1998)

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Citron Zest, Jamaican Pepper, Vetiver, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean, Labdanum.

Nikos Sculpture Homme (1995)

Notes: Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Coriander, Cedar, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Ambrette seed.

Main differences that I experience among these three are that Allure tends to have more citrus in the top and a smoother drydown; Sculpture is slightly more floral; and Woods & Spices has a much richer base that is slightly more complex.

Hope this helps!

Marlen

Montale Wood & Spices may be purchased at SuraviOnline.com at a special price just for Scenteur7 readers!

2 comments:

Martin said...

Thanks for the reply!

I remember reading the post about Wood & Spices being compared to Allure, but it just didn't feel right at the time. I will test Allure tomorrow to see if it actually was it after all. I know I've tried that scent a few times but it has never really talked to me at all, which is kind of funny if it is similar to Montale's fragrance, which just screams "LOOOVE AND HOLD ME DEARLY!" to me.

Thanks for posting some notes, I've had much trouble trying isolate any of them. It has a minty or maybe more a "high" aura surrounding it that puzzles me every time I try the scent.

marlen said...

I know what you mean, as I feel that way about so many of the Montale fragrances. I agree that Wood and Spices does have a somewhat cool breeze blowing through the composition, perhaps some coriander or bergamot?