Sunday, March 12, 2006

ASK MARLEN: In the Dark?

Hi Marlen,

I had another question for you. On your blog you have a pic of that cute vanity with all your bottles displayed. Is the whole "keep your fragrances in the dark" idea just pretentious drivel? I keep mine in a deep drawer and frankly, what is the point of having pretty flacons if you can't decorate your vanity with them?

Love,
RHi R,

This is a question that comes up time and time again. Back in ancient times when I had hair and was working as a fragrance model, the general opinion in the industry was that the average fragrance has a shelf life of approximately 7 years if stored in a cool, dark, dry place.

Now, that being said, we all have scents that seem to "turn" a lot faster than 7 years, and some that seem to stay wearable forever. When a friend who worked at Niemans first started selling the CSP line, he was "trained" that one of the main reasons the fragrances were housed in aluminum was that it preserved the "freshness" of the scent by keeping the juice out of the light.

I'm inclined to agree with you that if you got it, flaunt it. There are some kick-ass bottles out there, and I do like to decorate certain choice areas in my home with some of the more interesting bottles.

So here's the bottom line: Invest in an industrial cooler with glass door and good lighting so that you can display your scents while keeping them fresh...much like the beer section at 7-11.

Marlen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally think it depends on the fragrance. I have had some perfumes for over ten years and they haven't turned yet. I think as long as you don't put your bottles outside on a summer day and then bring them inside and place them in a dark refrigerator, you're doing okay.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you where my scents are stored. I have a vanity table where the center is hollowed out and all of my perfumes are crammed in there, rising out of the mounds of makeup. It is literally the most disorganized thing you have ever seen. I finally had to start keeping my perfume samples in a drawer because they kept getting lost among the "rubble." Despite the disorganization, I love it. And so do my friends. The process has gone something like this over the years: Friend spots vanity of goodness, gasps, sits down and proceeds to sniff every bottle, while digging through the makeup and applying every lip gloss they put their hands on.

Anyway, I think this has been a pretty good spot for my perfumes over the years, as they all still smell quite wonderful.

marlen said...

gooderin - that's a great comment! My friends are the same way with sniffing the scents, especially those on the shelf above the toilet (usually has its own room herein Japan) and in the vanity in the bathroom. I once had a guest spray my Versace Dreamer in the toilet thinking the scents that were displayed were air fresheners...

katiedid said...

I have an old Desprez scent that's housed in metal rather than glass, and honestly, I am pretty sure that it smells the same to me the same way it did when it came out, which is AT LEAST 50 years ago. Honestly, either it was so insanely complex that I just cannot pick up on any broken links, or else it's opaque metal home has been an extremely safe one.

Mark said...

I recently bought a piece of furniture for my scents, a medium sized armoire. It doesn't fit in my bedroom so it's in my living room and is quite the conversation piece b/c it's usually left open a little bit. It's very disorganized but needless to say, it's my favorite place in my apartment. I encourage guests to go have fun.

I have never had a scent turn on me and I've had some for about 10 years too. I keep them for the most part shaded, so I guess thats why.

Versace Dreamer scented toilet, I love it.