Thursday, May 25, 2006

ASK MARLEN: A rose by any other name

Hi Marlen!

How are you? Say, I thought I'd run this by you...I'm intrigued by male scents with rose in them. I wouldn't say that I'm into heavily floral scents, but I like having floral elements amongst other notes. I ran across Iquitos, which I think I mentioned to you, and now I see that Zino Davidoff has rose notes, too. Both of these sound very interesting and are unavailable in my area. I do realize that they're probably very different, though I notice that they're from the same era. Maybe I could wait on these, as I gather they're more for cool weather. Then again, I may feel free to violate this sort of division! ;)

If you have a moment or two and would like to share your thoughts, that would be great!

Thanks again,

D
Hi D!

I'm great, thanks, just found a nice apartment in the town where I'll be living so my day is made! As for rose scents...well, neither Zino nor Iquitos is particularly rose-ish, though Iquitos definitely seems to have a more of a rose tinge than Zino. Zino is a big, brash, masculine musk and woods scent, while Iquitos is more of a chypre, focusing on the mossy notes (actually, Iquitos reminds me of an incense a friend brought me from India). If you're really looking for rose, then let me suggest the following 3 fragrances:
  • L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
  • Rosine Rose d'Homme
  • Diptyque Opone
All 3 scents offer a slightly different approach to rose, and samples can be easily obtained online at lusciouscargo.com and aedes.com! Don't forget Burberry Brit - it has an accent of rose in the middle notes and is a pretty good fragrance that I seem to be coming back to quite often this spring, and finally, many of the Middle Eastern attars are going to offer a pure (and often warm and spicy) punch of rose!

Now, that being said, here are some other rose scents that are not necessarily men's fragrances, but that I really enjoy anyhow:
  • Agent Provocateur
  • Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose
  • Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie
  • Rosine Folie de Roses
  • Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises
  • Montale Aoud Queen Roses
  • Montale Attar
Hope this helps!

Marlen

5 comments:

marchlion said...

Seconding your vote for Rosine Rose Pour Homme. What a beauty.

I'd also add Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit, which I think would smell like heaven on a man, as well as Rosine's Ecume de Rose, a great, fresh, salty rose.

Martin said...

I finally got around to purchase a bottle of Agent Provocateur today, funny coincidence with this posting. I just gave my brother a blind test of AP (after having been accustomed too SMN's Nostalgia just before) and he couldn't really put his finger on it, but liked the smell on thought it was nice on me. He laughed when I brought out the bottle...

Mark said...

I like Tea Rose by the Perfumer's Workshop.

I've been dying to sample the rosine line for a long time, now.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marlen!
Thanks for that highly informative monograph! I also enjoyed the email you were responding to. Good to see my work in print! ;)

Decants and samples will be de rigeur - we're moving into the nether regions of scent quality and price here, and I think my usual combo of local shopping and blind-buying could be financially and scentoriously dangerous with these!

Thanks again, and I look forward to getting to the next level!!!

Cheers, D

Sali said...

When I visited Le Labo, the kind gentlemen there told me that their Rose was the bestseller among men and women. rose is the new unisex it seems. Enjoy your roses and wear them in style. ;-)